Town of Putnam Valley
Putnam Valley offers secluded country homes and peaceful neighborhood living in a beautiful, natural setting. It has a number of homeowner groups, but no incorporated villages. Most of the activity is centered in the southern end of town, along the Westchester County border, in the communities of Oregon Corners and Lake Peekskill.
Among the town’s treasures are Oscawana Lake and a large portion of Fahnestock Memorial State Park.
March 14, 1839 Town of Quincy was established.
February 13, 1840 The name was changed from Quincy to Putnam Valley.
Mid 1850s Oscawana Lake House opened - the first summer resort in town.
November 23, 1897 Putnam Valley Grange No. 841 was organized: building was erected 1900.
April 28, 1931 Ground was broken for the Taconic Parkway to cut through Putnam Valley. The ceremony took place where Bryant Pond Rd. crosses the Taconic.
January 11, 1933 Lake Peekskill Post Office was established.
June 9, 1934 Putnam Valley Central School district was created.
About 1935 A CCC camp was established in what is now Fahenstock Park; the men from the camp constructedStillwater Pond, Canopus Lake, their dams and other projects in the area.
December 14, 1935 Putnam Valley Central School was dedicated.
March 28, 1936 Putnam Valley acquired its own town hall building.
July 30, 1937 Putnam Valley Free Library obtained a provisional charter; it actually started in 1929 in the summer home of Rhea K. Johnson.
1942 - 1945 The CCC camp was converted to a rest station for British sailors who saw active duty and whose ships were being repaired at the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
August, 1946 Putnam Valley Volunteer Fire Department was established.
June 2, 1947 Putnam Valley Post Office was established at Oregon Corners.
April 2, 1950 Ground was broken for St. Lukes church. The original building was dismantled at its site in the Bronx, brought here in 3 foot sections and reassembled.
May 31, 1957 The first Civil Service Chief of Police was appointed.
1961 Putnam Valley Volunteer Ambulance Corps established.
April 26, 1968 Putnam Valley Historical Society was created.
March 31, 1983 Tompkins Corners Methodist Church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Putnam Valley Parks and Recreation Department is conveniently located in a separate building adjacent to the Town Hall on Oscawana Lake Road.
Many of the department‘s activities take place at Putnam Valley Town Park and at the popular Children’s Center.
Facilities include lightened multi-purpose courts for basketball or handball, a ball field, tennis courts, sand volleyball courts, a roller hockey rink and hiking along revitalized trails. Picnic tables and grills are also available.
The department is always looking for volunteers to coach sports teams, instruct programs or assist in other areas. Lifeguarding and CPR classes are available.
Putnam Valley Park & Recreation
Oscawana Lake Road
Putnam Valley Children’s Center 845-528-4911
The library’s collection of more than 55,000 resources includes adult, teen, children’s reference and large-print books, videos, DVDs, books-on-tape and CDs. The library also subscribes to online databases, including genealogy, health, business, and popular magazines and newspapers Public computers offer Internet access, word processing, Excel and the Mid-Hudson Library System’s catalog. Home access is available through the Library’s website and materials may be requested online.
The Library offers a variety of programs and events for the whole family, including Storytimes for children as well as Spring and Fall Festivals/ book sales.
Putnam Valley Free Library
30 Oscawana Lake Road
Putnam Valley 845-528-3242
The Town of Putnam Valley is served by the Putnam County Sheriff’s Department and the New York State Police. The Putnam County Sheriff’s Department, headed by Sheriff Donald B. Smith, is located in the Town of Carmel.
The New York State Police barracks on Main Street in Mohegan Lake is one of 15 stations in Troop K, which covers Putnam and Westchester counties.
The Putnam Valley Fire Department, with more than 117 volunteers, is led by Chief Adam Savino. Covering more than 45 square miles, the Putnam Valley Fire Department has two fire houses: Station One is located at 12 Canopus Hollow Road and Station One is located at 710 Peekskill Hollow Road.
Located at 218 Oscawana Lake Road, the Town of Putnam Valley Ambulance Corps answers more than 600 calls annually.
Captain Sheryl Luongo heads the organization, which consists of more than 50 members, approximately 50 percent of whom are trained Emergency Medical Technicians or EMT-Ds.
All Emergencies 911
New York State Police 845-279-6161
Putnam County Sheriff 845-225-4300
Fire station1 845-526-2879
Fires station 2 845-528-4440
Putnam Valley Ambulance 845-526-3119
POST OFFICE and ZIP CODES
U.S. Postal Service 1-800-275-8777
Putnam Valley Post Office 10579
12 Peekskill Hollow Road