Apropos Restaurant at The Abbey Inn & Spa is actively searching for an efficient, passionate, and self-motivated Sous Chef to join our team of opening professionals. The right candidate will be an experienced Sous, comfortable and experienced in running a Catering/Events kitchen.
This farm to table kitchen is led by acclaimed Chef John Paidas, a CIA grad with unique experiences in Baltimore, NYC, and Aspen. Chef Paidas is serious about his passion for culinary excellence, striving to build a team based on positive leadership, a great workplace learning environment, and creating a fun, intriguing culinary experience for our guests.
Located on a scenic bluff overlooking the Hudson River, the Abbey at Fort Hill will have spectacular views of the Manhattan skyline and greater New York City. The ~50,000 s.f. circa 1903 former convent and Chapel is currently being transformed into a world class destination luxury hotel that will feature an award-winning destination restaurant with seasonal outdoor dining opportunities, a 7,500 s.f. health spa, a fully restored Chapel specifically designed for weddings, social events and functions, a demonstration kitchen and wine cellar, its own private pool and natural pond, 60 acres of manicured walking trails as well as a peaceful Zen Garden.
The Abbey at Fort Hill is located in Peekskill, NY, 25 minutes north of New York City in Westchester County. The property is destined to become one of the most notable luxury hotels in the country. Its 42 guest rooms & suites are situated in a classic stone mansion that is being meticulously restored while paying homage to its deep historic significance while infusing the most sophisticated modern design features and guest amenities.
The hotel and restaurant will open January 2020. Follow @TheAbbeyInnAndSpa on instagram and facebook for updates and check out @HayCreekHotels on Linkedin for more great opportunities!
- Work closely with the Executive Chef to ensure that all items needed are in stock. Maintain daily pars and place inventory orders as needed.
- Regularly make table visits to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Practice and enforce proper food storage safety, allergy awareness, food storage safety, compliance with health department code, and all other safety and security policies and procedures.
- Oversee all work stations, often assisting in completing daily prep and working on each station.
- Enforce quality control of food at all times. Coordinate with the Executive Chef on proper food preparation, execution, and plate presentation.
- Assist Executive chef in the management of all culinary staff to include but not limited to; weekly scheduling, hiring, discipline/coach and counseling, performance evaluations and all training necessary to ensure smooth operation of the culinary department
- Actively train culinary employees.
- Assist Executive Chef in the control of labor management via strategic scheduling, overtime monitoring, and making daily staffing decisions.
- In addition to the regular execution of restaurant operations, also assist in the execution of special events, private parties, and banquets.
- Assist in the development of daily specials, special menus for promotions and holidays, quarterly menu changes, and other specialty menu items.
- Actively communicate with chef on all operational needs, guest complaints, recommendations, employee issues, etc.
- Regularly work as a culinary team member, such as working grill station or sauté station 4-5 shifts per week.
- Flexibility to work nights or mornings, weekends, holidays, and busy seasonal days (i.e. town festivals).
Hay Creek offers an extensive benefit and incentive package, including;
- Insurance Benefit package, to include Company-funded Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability, Accident, and Critical Illness
- Competitive Salary/Wages
- Competitive Paid Time Off Structure including Vacation, Sick, Holiday Pay, Jury Duty Leave, and Bereavement Leave
- Standard Annual Performance/Salary Reviews
- Merit and Cost of Living Adjustments
- Complimentary Meals Daily
- Free Parking
- Employee and Friends & Family Lodging Discounts as low as forty-nine dollars per night at all HCH Properties
- Discounts at specific property partners (NEIRA, Historic Hotels of America)
- 50% Discount when Dining at any HCH Property
- Industry Discounts through Working Advantage (Entertainment Tickets, Hotels, Rental Cars, Outdoor Activities, Restaurants, etc.)
- Discounts at each of our Spas, Golf Courses, Fitness rooms/programs and other featured amenities
- Supportive, open-door policy work environment
- Work Culture that is fun, energetic and motivating
- Employee Recognition Program - 'Delight and Surprise Dollars'
- Accelerated Career Advancement to include professional enrichment, conferences & classes, and manager in training programs.
Experience and Skills:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 2-3 years of recent Line Cook experience in a high volume, full service restaurant
- Previous staff management experience
- Experience in Banquet/Event execution required
- Creative, innovative, and inspired to develop new and intriguing menu items designed for appropriate clientele
- Demonstrate a positive, upbeat and customer-focused attitude
- Experience in inventory control and cost management preferred
- May be subject to successful completion of background check and/or DMV check.